SIX of the best Indie games from the last five years
In no particular order, as all of these games are EPIC. (yes they are numbered, it looks neater this way!)
1. "Celeste" (2018) - This beautifully crafted platformer follows the journey of Madeline as she strives to climb the treacherous Celeste Mountain. Along the way, she confronts her inner demons and learns to believe in herself. "Celeste" received widespread critical acclaim for its tight controls, challenging but fair gameplay, and moving story.
2. "Donut County" (2018) - In this charming puzzle game, you play as a hole in the ground that grows larger as it consumes everything in its path. As you progress through the levels, you'll encounter a variety of objects and characters that you'll need to swallow in order to progress. "Donut County" is a unique and fun take on the puzzle genre, with a witty and humorous storyline.
3. "Dead Cells" (2018) - This fast-paced action game combines elements of roguelikes, Metroidvanias, and Souls-likes to create a thrilling and challenging experience. You play as a sentient blob of cells that possesses the bodies of the deceased in order to fight your way through a constantly changing castle. "Dead Cells" has received praise for its tight controls, challenging but fair gameplay, and beautiful pixel art style.
4. "Spelunky 2" (2020) - The highly anticipated sequel to the popular roguelike platformer "Spelunky," this game builds on the formula of the original with new levels, enemies, and mechanics. Players must navigate through randomly generated levels, collecting treasure and avoiding traps and enemies as they try to reach the end of the game. "Spelunky 2" received widespread critical acclaim upon its release, with many praising its challenging but fair gameplay and its colorful, pixel art style.
5. "Hades" (2020) - This action-packed rogue-like game puts you in the role of Zagreus, the immortal prince of the underworld, as he tries to escape the clutches of his father, the god Hades. With fast-paced combat, a rich cast of characters, and multiple endings, "Hades" has received widespread critical acclaim and has become one of the most popular indie games of the last five years.
6. "Among Us" (2018) - This multiplayer social deduction game took the gaming world by storm in 2020, with streamers and content creators helping to bring it to the forefront of popular culture. In "Among Us," you and your friends play as crewmates on a spaceship, with one or more players secretly being "imposters" trying to sabotage the mission. It's up to the crewmates to figure out who the imposters are and vote them off before it's too late.
These are just a few of the many fantastic indie games that have been released in the last five years. I hope you find something that you enjoy! Leave a comment if you agree or disagree, or have your own favourites!